[Tech] List of Remote Internship Opportunites mostly to Open Source Projects …
Four Years, on an average 6 courses each semester. Till the very last semester unfamiliarity with how things are going to be when we enter the professional world.
While in college
Smaller Projects, decent enough deadlines.
Coding yourself, or being part of the group which has programmers.
Wanted to, but lacked motivation. Or felt intimidated and left the pursuit in the mid.
Time to pull up the socks. Give it a shot again. Leaving all the what-ifs aside.
Perks other than a stipend
1. Get a first-hand experience of working on the larger codebase.
2. Every time there won’t be an opportunity to write code from scratch. Learn to read another person’s code.
3. Whether you coded it or someone else did it. Exposure to debugging, fixing the bugs.
4. Ask, ask, ask. This cannot be emphasized further. I learned it the hard way.
When in doubt, ask. Something is bothering, ask. An idea to share, discuss. Sharing helps.
5. Learn to code on your own, learn Git.
6. Makes you more confident. :)
- Learn IT Girl — A 3 months internship program. Where mentees can only be women. While anyone can be a mentor. Have a project idea? Need guidance in execution? Apply.
How it Works- (For Mentees)
Mentees need to fill one application form which asks for details like.
a. Programming experience
b. Project Idea
c. Why do you want to participate in Learn IT Girl?
d. Project Timeline.
And some more questions. Based on the submissions. Final shortlisting is done. This offers a one-on-one internship opportunity. By the end of 3 months if you are able to complete the project. They send you a certificate, along with some swags.
Out of all the submitted project ideas. Mentors decide on which ones to pick. And Mentor. Selection is based on shortlisting.
More Details — https://www.learnitgirl.com/
- RGSoC( Rails Girls Summer of Code) — A 3-month internship program. To encourage more women in tech.
How it Works -
a. Participants apply as a Team. A team of 2 members.
b. Submit a project — Open Source projects, as well as smaller projects having volunteers interested in mentoring, can submit there project. Post this final projects are shortlisted.
c. Each project has 4–5 dedicated mentors. Mentoring the team.
More Details — https://railsgirlssummerofcode.org/
Twitter — https://twitter.com/RailsGirlsSoC
- Outreachy — A 3-month full-time remote internship. Happens twice in a year. Some amazing open source organizations participate. Like Mozilla, Linux Kernal, OpenStack, Fedora, Debian, Git etc.
How it Works —
a. Make contributions to the project.
b. Submit the proposal.
Paid Internship Opportunity.
More Details — https://www.outreachy.org/
Twitter — https://twitter.com/outreachy
- Girls Script Summer Of Code — Open to all irrespective of the gender. There are prizes and rewards instead of stipend. Help others to contribute to the project, or contribute yourself. Make a choice.
More Details — https://www.gssoc.tech/projects.html
- Google Summer of Code(GSoC) — The most well-known programs, majorly all organizations participate, earn a stipend, mentorship, exposure.
More Details — https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/
The ones fueled by passion will anyways do it.
If you are someone who is curious to learn, but fear took over?
The voice “I am not good enough” overpowered …
Fewer marks, or confident, overconfident peers made it feel like “This is not for you” …
Stuck with from where to start? Which project to select? Ask, Ask, Ask. Seek help.
Overwhelmed, intimidated. Or anything else that is holding you back. Leave. Take the first step and Apply.
The maximum that can go wrong is a rejection. There is nothing to lose. If selected imagine the brighter side? Read the starting of the blog again :)
Mentee — You can do it too.
Mentor — Help. It is satisfying to listen
“Thank you, I learned it because of you.”
“You made a difference…..”
- Open Source Help Community — Have Queries? Ask those who participated before.
Slack Channel — https://opensourcehelp.slack.com/messages/C35TA3PM3/
Facebook Page —
- Other Open Source Opportunities —